New Patent Fee Reduction/Exemption Program Including Academic Discount Has Been launched since April 1, 2019
The JAPAN PATENT OFFICE (JPO) announced that a new patent fee reduction/exemption program (“new program”) directed to simplified procedures for reduction/exemption application and expanded fee reduction/exemption coverage was launched, effective as of April, 2019. The new program is applied to all patent applications for which a Request for Examination is filed on or after April 1, 2019. For details, please refer to the information provided on “A new patent fee reduction/exemption program has been launched” of the JPO website.
In this article, we will introduce academic discount encompassed by the new program. Following is a summary of the academic discount available under the new program.
Stating “an applicant is subject to receiving a reduction” on the Request for Examination of Application document or the Annuity Payment Form is required, but submitting a request for reduction and certificates is not required.
* Please note that the new program is applied only to patent applications As for applications of utility models, submitting a request for reduction and certificates is still required, even under the new program.
Employee invention requirement is no longer enforced. Applications by foreign applicants could also be subjects of academic discount if the applicants are any of the following:
1. University Researchers
(1) University Presidents, Vice presidents, Deans, Professors, Associate professors, Assistant professors, Lecturers, Assistants or other staff members exclusively engaged in research at universities; or
(2) College Presidents, Professors, Associate professors, Assistant professors, Lecturers, Assistants or other staff members exclusively engaged in research at colleges of technology
(1) Entities that have established a University; or
(2) Entities that have established a College of Technology
Examination fee and Annuity Fee Discount:
In certain cases that meet the requirements for an academic discount program, an applicant may obtain 50% reduction in fees for requesting examination and patent annuities without the necessity of complicated procedures.
In a case of a joint application, a university or entity equivalent thereto obtains 50% reduction in the official fee corresponding to its share of the application. For example, if a university has a 50% share of the application, the university will obtain a 25% reduction in the total official fee.
Japan Patent Information Committee
Legal updates on Patents